Raleigh Headshot Photography
A headshot (or head shot) is a specific type of portrait photography that realistically demonstrates a person’s appearance. Headshots are usually used by actors, models, business professionals as well as individuals that are looking for professional looking portraits of themselves for the purpose of personal branding, casting roles, new job opportunities or just social media purposes.
Do I Need A Professional Headshot?
Ever heard the old adagio “an image is worth more than a thousand words”? A professional headshot can significantly boost the chances of getting attention from other people.
- A headshot is your first and most effective tool that will help you get an audition and land a role.
- Casting Directors see hundreds and even thousands of headshots every day.
- Your headshot has less than 1 second to make an impact, so it’s crucial that your headshot stands out from the crowd.
- It is highly recommended that you get new headshots within 2 years from the last session.
- Modeling headshots, sometimes called “comp cards” or “tear sheets”, are a compilation of images for casting in one sheet with a résumé of work, name and relevant statistics.
- Models often use headshots for castings and modeling work applications.
- A close-up headshot is often required to show a model's skin complexion for beauty work.
- Models' head shots are also often professionally retouched to ensure their close-up beauty photograph appears perfect without blemishes or spots.
- Is booking a new job worth investing in your image? Show casting directors your talent... Show them a great head shot!
- Business and Corporate headshots are portraits often produced digitally and used for engaging in social media, the about us page and industry specialty sites.
- Headshots are often used for branding and to showcase the business leaders life, style and personality while Corporations will use the headshot to merge branding between the people working for them and its agency.
- Traditional head shots are still taken in a studio setting, though shots "on-location" or "in-the-field" continue to increase in popularity. In both cases, backgrounds tend to be simple. Subjects are often shown head-to-chest or head-to-torso.
- Nothing says "I'm a pro" like a professional head shot. Whether you're an established business or a professional seeking for new opportunities, your head shot shows that you take yourself, and your work seriously.
- What does YOUR Headshot say about you? How does it define your PERSONAL Brand?
- With increased visibility via social media and professional associations, more and more people look for professional headshots that will set them apart.
- When a potential employer or network contact finds you on Facebook or LinkedIn, the first thing they see is your profile picture. This is your chance to make a great first impression! If you don't have one, your profile looks incomplete and is less attractive for others to learn more about you.
- There are a great number of online marketing tools these days and whether you’re connecting with peers and potential employers /clients on LinkedIn or you’re looking to find the love of your life on Match.com, you are being judged by your profile picture (or the lack of one).
- In the digital age, profile pictures are a common way for people to get an initial impression of someone else. That cropped photo taken from your cellphone won’t cut it anymore
How should I choose a Headshot Photographer?
- If you have the time, the best way to choose a headshot photographer is to meet with a few of them. Most photographers will meet you free of charge.
- You need to trust that your photographer can deliver. If you don’t trust your photographer or if you try to micro-manage your headshot session, you will not succeed.
- There are hundreds of photographers in the Raleigh metro area, at different price points and different levels of experience. The right photographer for you is out there, you just have to do a little digging.
- Like most things in life you get what you pay for. Photography is not a commodity and every photographer values their work and their time differently.
Some key questions to ask:
- How long have you been a photographer?
- Do you have a photography studio?
- Do you specialize in headshot photography?
- Look at their work. Does it look like something that came out from the 80’s? Can you tell if their work is consistent in style?
- Read the reviews, and consider requesting references.
- Ask about the session itself. Find out about the experience itself.
Why should you work with Rodrigo Mancilla Photography?
We offer our clients more than just an amazing product that is truly second to none, but also a fun and relaxing experience. We don’t just photograph people, we coach them and most importantly, we also learn from them since every person is different and every headshot requirement is unique. We want our customers to see us as a marketing partner so we strive towards offering the best experience even after the session is over.
The process is constantly evolving to ensure that no two headshots are exactly the same. We look at things differently. This is not just a photograph this is your personal logo. It has to stand out in crowd, it has to say “I’m the one”, and it has to be an honest representation of who you are. We are authentic in what we do and we believe that what we do makes a difference.
About Our Headshot Session
Our headshot session was created with the intention to be used a marketing tool that will not only capture the attention of professionals in your industry , but also give your career a jump start and a push in the right direction. This is a creative experience that relies heavily on expression. This is also what makes your session unique and designed specifically for your needs. As the photographer, it’s my job to not only make sure that the lighting is perfect and the camera settings are all correct, but also to coach you into the perfect expression. Several customers come to the studio convinced that they are not photogenic and it gives me great pleasure to prove them they are!
The Headshot session is very dynamic, we don’t sit someone on a chair and start flashing lights on their face. We spend time coaching about expressions, reviewing images together, provide guidance on clothing, makeup and will not finish the session until we are satisfied with the results.
Here are some the most popular headshot sessions:
THE EAST COAST HEADSHOT
Our East Coast Headshot is pretty unique to the Raleigh market.
Unlike the traditional west coast headshot, this look is 100% focused on the expression.
We use studio professional lighting on a solid backdrop. This look was made popular by New York photographer Peter Hurley. This style of headshot is the most popular and modern, it’s designed to convey a confident and approachable impression. This style is excellent for both social media as well as printed media because it allows for merging background with websites and/or business cards.
THE WEST COAST HEADSHOT
Our West Coast Headshot is our natural light headshot.
We use a combination of reflectors and accent lights in the shot, but the main light in this style of photo session is the sun it’s a style of photography that’s very popular in California and that’s why we call it our West Coast Headshot.
Unlike the East Coast Headshot, this look relies heavily on natural light, so sessions should be planned in hours when sunlight is available, to ensure good lighting of the face. This style of session doesn’t use a back drop. We use the natural ambiance of the studio or outdoors to create a looser, more natural looking image.